Like Firefox, it is built from Mozilla, cross-platform and open source.
Provided by Auralvance (Rutgers University)
Updated: 12/6/08 1.0.0 Rev 1
NOTES: For MP3 and other audio licensed playback you must have the full compliment of gstreamer plugins installed (good, bad, ugly, etc) - Check here
Songbird 1.0.0 - Fedora 9 - i386
Songbird 1.0.0 - Fedora 9 - x86_64
Songbird 1.0.0 - Fedora 10 - i386
Songbird 1.0.0 - Fedora 10 - x86_64
After downloading the rpm file, you just need to install the pakage using command :
# rpm -ivh songbird-1.0.0-1.fc9.i386.rpm
Ubuntu Linux (.deb)
Ubuntu Intrepid 32 bits - 1.0.0
Ubuntu Intrepid 64 bits - 1.0.0
Right-click the downloaded .tar.gz file after you downloaded it from http://getsongbird.com and extract it.
Double-click the file called “songbird” in the newly created folder.
The first time you’ll have to agree to some EULA, it will ask you if you want to scan your pc for music files. It will also suggest some recommended add-ons.
you move that folder to your home directory and add a launcher for it in your “application -> sound and video” menu.
Go to “system -> preferences -> main menu”, and create a new entry in the sound and video menu. In the command box simply link to the songbird file. If you have the songbird folder in your home directory that would be /home/yourusernamehere/Songbird/songbird.
Here are some key features of "SongBird":Play Anything:
· MP3, AAC, OGG, FLAC, WMA, and more. Can you teach Songbird to sing?
· Choose from the two included themes: Rubberducky or Dove. You can even make one yourself.
Control the Flow:
· Play, Pause, Previous, Next, Volume, Mute, Seek, Three Repeat Modes, and Shuffle.
· Quickly switch between tasks using the buttons to the right of the dashboard display.
Organize Your Library:
· Filter your collection by Genre, Artist, Album, and Song or Search-As-You-Type.
Scan Your Computer for Music:
· Songbird will find your music and add it to your collection for you.
Super Slim Mini-Mode:
· Use the mini-mode for basic controls while keeping Songbird out of the way.
· Songbird comes in 39 languages. Be a localizer and see Songbird in your language!
Build Custom Mixes:
· Drag-and-drop songs from the Library or another playlist to your create your own custom mixes.
Make Smart Mixes:
· Criteria-based playlists that are always up-to-date with your current collection.
· Get mixes from the Internet and stay up-to-date with the latest updates, downloads, and casts.
Play In Place:
· Songbird plays MP3s without leaving the page.
Play the Web:
· Play web pages as playlists and view any web page as a playlist.
Set Music Watch Folders:
· Tell Songbird to watch a folder for new music and it will automatically add new tracks to your collection
· We now use GStreamer as our main media playback system, across all platforms - giving us higher performance, better reliability, and a platform for much more media-related functionality in the future.
Improved Album Art Support:
· The album artwork feature now supports drag and drop of images, as well as, toggling between Now Playing and Currently Selected tracks.