linux poison RSS
linux poison Email

How do Flush DNS Cache in Linux

Most DNS clients cache the results of name resolution requests. This speeds up name resolution if multiple lookups are done to the same address, such as is common when browsing the web.

Sometimes a bad DNS entry will be cached and you will need to either flush the DNS cache to get rid of it, or wait up to 24 hours for it to be dropped from the cache automatically.

In Linux, the nscd daemon manages the DNS cache.
To flush the DNS cache, restart the nscd daemon using command: # /etc/init.d/nscd restart


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too bad that many distributions do not run nscd, so this approach will not work on those.

Anonymous said...

cool

Anonymous said...

$ sudo /etc/init.d/nscd restart

cyberciti (dot) biz/faq/rhel-debian-ubuntu-flush-clear-dns-cache/

Som said...

If a user wants to flush DNS cache and if the user uses Internet via LAN connection ,the best way to do so is changing the DNS address manually . He just needs to alter the DNS entry .Setting alternative DNS address as primary address will solve the issue instantly. This trick worked for me . I faced the same problem . I am aLinux user .so , I installed NSCD client and tried to flush the cache . But , it could not solve my issue .i solved it myself just changing the DNS entry . It worked for me instantly .I kept the new entry for two days without any problem and later reinstated the older entry

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails